June 28, 2008

A fond farewell

to my favorite Chronicle blogger, Marty Nemko, who published his last post as a guest blogger yesterday:
This is my final post as guest blogger and I must say that many of the responses demonstrate what’s wrong with higher education. . . For example, commenters called me, not just my ideas, for example, “off the deep end.”
But Nemko was not discouraged:
I was struck by how the negative comments, even the ad hominem ones, rather than demotivating me, motivated me to try even harder in my rejoinders and in subsequent posts. That reminded me of all the people who say they were unmotivated until someone said, “You can’t.” or “You’re a loser.”
Please don't leave us Marty Nemko. At least not until the fall when the academic year starts and I have something else to write about. In fact, I dare you to keep blogging for the Chronicle! I bet you can't! You're a loser.